Friday, 9 June 2017
REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL - LABOUR'S BACK!
The gloaters who post here, are, as expected having their day, but there are no tears from me. On the contrary, for the first time in decades I am filled with hope. Jeremy Corbyn has won over more seats than any Labour leader since Clement Attlee. He has started a Movement that has spread the length and breadth of the UK - and not only has he proved his critics wrong, he has won them over.
Theresa May has literally ripped the rug from under herself and her party. The tories already had a majority, she did not need to call an election, and history will probably record her error as vanity. It was HER campaign, her tagline was 'vote for ME'. She wanted the public to give her free reign to handle the Brexit negotiations as SHE wanted without informing the public of what she was doing.
The public have overwhelming rejected Theresa. Yes, her personally, because that was her USP. She arrogantly believed the electorate would support her (hidden) manifesto without knowing what it was. And then she thought she could hide away (pretending) to do 'Brexit stuff' while the plebs fought it out at the hustings.
Hard Brexit, as illustrated by the total collapse of UKIP and the 29 Labour gains. She cannot now go into Brexit negotiations with the unweildy hand she wanted and the alliance she has made with the Ulster Unionists won't help her - they don't want the same Brexit she does.
Most, if not all, of the commentators I have heard today, have predicted another election, probably within a year. Now imagine what last night's result would have been if Jeremy Corbyn had had the support of his PLP and a fair, unbiased press? That won't be a problem with the next election. The Labour Right have accepted Jeremy's anti austerity and public investment policies as the way forward, and they will be fighting for them in the next election. Blairism is over. The Labour Party have a new 'winning formula', they have returned to their core voters and their core values and despite all the naysayers, it is working. Granted the MSM probably won't change, but they are rapidly being overtaken by social media and on the ball news websites. The days when Rupert Murdoch could influence a General Election are over..
But I promised Reasons to be Cheerful and here they are:
1. Theresa May does not have the authority of the British people to tell our European friends and neighbours to pee off and her negotiations will have to be open and transparent.
2, TM does not have the authority to go for a Hard Brexit - her new best buds do not agree with it.
3. TM cannot push through her policies for social care or cut the heating allowance for the elderly. Her new best buds don't agree with that either.
4. Now the PLP are moving over towards Jeremy's ideology, TM will no longer be able to push through further cuts or sell off the NHS. Like Trump, she will have the job title, but no power.
5. The UK have now seen Jeremy Corbyn as the honest, caring and passionate politician that he is, rather than the frenzied newspaper coverage that portrayed him as some kind of revolutionary threat to everything British.
6. Jeremy Corbyn is going nowhere. He gets knocked down, he gets back up again - and everytime he gets back up again, he is stronger. We all have much to learn from him. Maybe that is what makes him so formidable - Theresa May has visibly crumbled before our eyes, unwilling to face him head to head.
7. And not the last by any means. We are not facing 5 years of weak and wobbly Theresa and the small party of NI extremists she is cosying up to. Her days are numbered, there will be another election and the tories will self combust if they keep her as leader. Matters not to Labour whether TM stays on or not. The Movement has begun, the face of British Politics has changed, this is just the beginning.